2.25.2010

Always Share in the Local Experience

Part of making the most out of any trip is to make every effort to experience the local culture, no matter how small a taste you get to enjoy. Recently while on a small program in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico I spotted a food stand where two local men where furiously working prepping some kind of unusual food.

Having never seen this food before, I stepped up and asked if I could touch this strange and exotic looking green 'thing'. I found myself holding a green spongy tear-shaped plant up to my nose. It had a slightly tangy aroma and was nothing like any food I had ever seen. One of the men smiled and said, "It is a delicious young cactus. You should try it." Of course not one to be shy, I accepted the challenge.

The next morning much to my colleagues' consternation, I was excitedly chopping onions, slicing limes, dipping the cactus in milk & flour and sautéing the mixture in a little bit of butter, salt & brown sugar. Well, when I served everyone's breakfast up with fresh local eggs and this truly Mexican side dish of sautéed cactus, we had a delicious travel moment that no one will forget.



So remember, reward yourself on every trip with a little bit of local adventure!

No comments: